Wednesday, November 5, 2008

To Lady London

Perhaps one of the best things about working for a few year before going back to school is that one can appreciate the sheer beauty of the student life. Yes, there are essays to be written and hours upon hours of reading to be done, but who else has 4 day weekends every week? As my dad likes to remind me- this is not the "real life". I do know that and appreciate it for what it is. Going to school in Europe is especially beautiful because the free time means that taking trips to London, Dublin, Scotland etc... are as easy as a bus ticket away. 
This past week, I took one of these opportunities and headed south for a few days stay in London. Now London and I have had a precarious past. She made me stay a night with her a few years ago on a trip back from Uganda. At that time, I was used to the sunny skies and laid back style of Uganda. While London is neither particularly sunny nor laid back, I didn't come away with much love for London. I decided to give her another chance to woe me, and she did. 
Knowing that I am a California girl, she gave me nothing but sunny skies the entire time I was there, with the exception of the one night when she sprinkled just the perfect amount of snow. She charmed around every corner. From Picadilly to Notting Hill, girls in boots and fur caps and handsome men in long coats and scarves, history and stories and flower stands at each turn- London put her best foot forward and won my heart. 
In closing, I recommend you give Lady London a chance. She especially seems to sparkle on a crisp fall day. Who knows, maybe you just have to catch her when you are ready.... perhaps when you are a student in some foreign place, when the best thing you have going for you is a four day weekend, and when you can take the time to hear her stories. 

1 comment:

Love, Lauren said...

wait a minute, did she woe you again, or woo you this time? just a clarification ;) good to see you update lovey!