Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gender Day

My University recently hosted a Gender Day, compulsory for all students in the Peace Studies department. This was a full day affair. For 7 hours, they had our attention, and we were ready to discuss the gender based violence committed during conflict and during times of peace. We were ready to grapple with the heart wrenching statistics that state that 2 million or more girls are genitally mutilated each year and an estimated 4 million women are forced or sold into prostitution each year. 

I was disheartened when our first hour long session of the day focused on deconstructing gender roles and discussing such trivial topics as why do women "paint their nails" and "worry about the size of their butt". As a feminist, I am disturbed when our sober and real fight for women's equality and protection against gross violations of human rights is not taken seriously because we waste our breath on the wrong things. 

I don't know if my view is "politically correct". It probably is not. I should probably focus my attention on "deconstructing gender" and fighting "gender regimes". But I cannot spend my time doing this in good conscience, not while my sisters are victims of rape, domestic violence,trafficking, and forced marriage. 

So, I will keep wearing my lipstick and skirts and not waste my breath unless it is to stand up for the women around the world, my sisters, who have no voice. 


2 comments:

Nathan, Sarah, Liam, Deacon, and Jude said...

I agree with you. The fight for equality and humanity is lost in the trivial and it is tragic.

Unknown said...

You are so right, Vanessa. Do not be disheartened.