Friday, November 21, 2008

Finding Life

I am in the interesting process of creating a life away from home. I am taking note of the things that I find I need that I didn't realize were so important to me and the things I am quite happy to do without. It's quite an amazing discovery, really. 

I am finding life in the most unlikely places and in the process, finding new parts of myself. 
This week in particular has been full of life. I spent an evening with a woman and her two beautiful little girls, assylum seekers who were so kind to share a meal with me. I spent an afternoon wandering through a peace craft fair with some dear friends. There were grandmas and young children and the room was full of the joy of community. My friend and I are organizing a departmental "Culture Cabaret", which has the whole department bustling with excitement, songs, and rehearsals for the big event. Thus far the line-up includes a Japanese tea ceremony, a Gypsy dance, some Irish folk songs, a belly dance, a Guatemalan folk song, and a Bollywood dance. I can't wait for the big night! Today I had the privilege of helping a special needs school practice for their Christmas musical, reminding me of the precious faces I work with at home. 
The process of finding life sometimes feels like I am on a treasure hunt but most often like I am a wandering traveler, stumbling upon a beautiful paradise. I didn't know I was looking for it but I sure am glad I'm here. I am aware that this is the joy and the mystery of God's Kingdom among us. 

No comments: